The following update has been provided by Conway who have been carrying out the improvement works on Beckenham High Street.
- The kerbing and paving has commenced on the North West corner of the War Memorial roundabout.
- Paving has continued outside Prezzo and across the Kelsey Square / High Street junction and kerbing and has continued outside Haks barbers.
- Between the War Memorial roundabout and Burrell Road the paving and kerbing has almost been completed.
Phase 5 works – Lidl to Village Way:
- Burnhill Road and Kelsey Square has been closed to traffic. Kelsey Lane remains two-way between Uplands and Wayside where it is closed to traffic. Pedestrian access is maintained from Burnhill Road, Kelsey Square and Kelsey Lane to the High Street. This set up will be monitored to see if additional signage will be required. From Fairfield Road to Kelsey Park Road the one way will be reversed meaning traffic will drive up Fairfield and exit Burnhill Road. These arrangements have been negotiated with local residents at a consultation meeting.
- Preparation and laying of paving will continue at Kelsey Square. The construction works will continue in the second part of the carriageway.
- The parking bays outside Zizzi will be retained for deliveries only.
- The footway between Burnhill Road and the High Street has been reinstated but is currently narrowed for safety reasons. It is therefore very difficult for wheelchairs and pushovers to navigate. Conway apologise for this and say they will endeavour to open it to its full width as soon as possible.
Phase 6 works – War Memorial roundabout to Burrell Road:
Paving work will continue on the third corner of the War Memorial roundabout. Street lights are being installed at various locations.
The main High Street improvements are due to be completed in September with only snagging of small defects and some design details to be installed after this date.
- Left hand turns from Village Way onto the High Street are now banned. The right hand turn from The Drive onto The High Street has also been restricted. All traffic will be sent on the main diversion along the High Street heading towards Beckenham junction then onto Rectory Road. This is likely to be in place until the end of the project to allow the contractor to work safely in those areas.
- Two way traffic has been reinstated between Bromley Road and Manor Road.
- Two way traffic has also been reinstated between Thorntons Corner and Fairfield Road to enable access to Fairfield Road without using the main diversion.
Bus route changes:
TfL have advised that bus routes 54, 227, 352, 354, 367 and N3 are diverted in one direction. All diverted routes should return to normal when the road closures end, expected to be in late September 2018.