Maisonette fire prompts cooking safety warning

Cooking oil fireStock Image

Firefighters are warning of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended following a maisonette fire in Beckenham.

Part of a maisonette on the first floor of a semi-detached house on Lennard Road was damaged by fire last month, which is believed to have been caused by cooking which was left unattended.

Four men and six women left the building before the fire brigade arrived. One man was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews after suffering from smoke inhalation. Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Beckenham, Forest Hill and Woodside fire stations attended the scene.

Sub officer, Shane Samways, who was at the scene, said: “We were called to a fire that had spread out of control when cooking was left unattended.

“On arrival, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus led one man to safety as he was trying to extinguish the fire.

“Never leave cooking unattended on the cooker or hob. But if an accident does happen, don’t try to tackle the fire yourself.  As soon as you become aware of a fire in your property, get out, stay out, close the door behind you and call 999.

“Thankfully, there were working smoke alarms fitted inside the property which alerted the residents to the fire. You should have working smoke alarms in every room where a fire can start, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen and the bathroom. They should be tested regularly.”

Firefighters’ tips for safer cooking:

  • Don’t leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
  • Not feeling 100%? Order a takeaway – if you’re very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it’s safer not to risk it.
  • Try to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood, extractor fan and grill clean – built up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire.
  • Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking

Make sure to stay in touch by joining our News in Beckenham Facebook Group or following us on Twitter. You can also have your say via the comments box below.

Also, don’t forget to enter our FREE Christmas Prize Draw for a chance to win a fabulous gift.